What Is My Phantom’s Name???

countdownSPGreetings fans and friends!  Please let me take a moment to extend Thanksgiving best wishes to all of you!  I pray that as you gather around the table, you will experience warmth and happiness!

I am hoping that by now a few of you have read, or are reading Chanson de l’Ange.  If you have completed the series, I hope you will engage with me by commenting on this post.

As most fans of Phantom of the Opera know, there is a bit of mystery that surrounds the Phantom’s name.  Although “Erik” is the name he is given in Leroux’s original novel, the ALW musical never uses the name “Erik”, and we never actually learn the Phantom’s first or last name.

In my retelling of the story, I also call my Phantom “Erik”, but I also make it clear that this is not his true given first name.   Although I never tell the reader what that name is outright, I have deliberately woven clues through the trilogy, a little trail of insights into what his actual Christian name is.

I would like to invite my readers to reply to the following questions:

1. Did you pick up on the name clues woven throughout Chanson de l’Ange?
  2. Do you think you know what my Phantom’s Christian name is?
  3. Do you think it matters what his name is?
  4. Do you have a guess?
  5. Are you interested in knowing why his name is important to this retelling?

I will tell you that there is a remarkable true story all wrapped up in my choice for the Phantom’s name in Chanson de l’Ange.  Would you like to hear it?

Let me know!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

29 Comments

1. CommentsBrooke Rampmeyer   |  Tuesday, 26 November 2013 at 10:41 am

YES WHATS HIS NAME!!! I WANNA KNOW!!!

2. CommentsPaisley Swan Stewart   |  Tuesday, 26 November 2013 at 1:09 pm

Darling, I am not just going to tell you! It is puzzle and I want readers to solve it!

3. CommentsCarol   |  Wednesday, 27 November 2013 at 9:23 pm

Gabriel Fiacre. An Angel for an an Angel.

4. CommentsCarol   |  Wednesday, 27 November 2013 at 10:14 pm

Not sure my guess is correct, but I’d like to hear your story.

5. CommentsPaisley Swan Stewart   |  Thursday, 28 November 2013 at 11:58 pm

Close!

6. CommentsPaisley Swan Stewart   |  Thursday, 28 November 2013 at 11:59 pm

I will tell the story, but first I’ve got get more people in on this topic!

7. CommentsCarol   |  Friday, 29 November 2013 at 10:14 am

Michael or Raphael? Just figured it has to be an Archangel – would be so fitting.
    I might have named him Gerard, but that would be too obvious!

8. CommentsCarol   |  Friday, 29 November 2013 at 10:46 am

Gideon -Angel of Death or Destroyer. Running out of well know Angels. Must look some up I still have not put clues together!

9. CommentsCarol   |  Friday, 29 November 2013 at 1:14 pm

Gerry. Out of guesses. Seems I’m the only one with ideas unless I’m on the wrong page to see discussions.

10. CommentsCarol   |  Friday, 29 November 2013 at 1:32 pm

Even though I’ve made all these guesses, I have to admit, I would have problems thinking of him by any other name than Erik. In the book, Of Seraphim and Cherubim, the two split personalities were Erik and Adrian. They argued just like your Erik’s personality split into Erik, the Phantom, and Erik, the Angel of Music. By the way, Erik’s play, Chanson de L’Ange, was spectacular!

11. CommentsPaisley Swan Stewart   |  Friday, 29 November 2013 at 4:42 pm

Carol, I don’t really have a huge following on this site, so I’m not surprised others are not joining in. I have never heard of the book you mentioned. When I first started writing Chanson, there were very few retellings out there. Now there are hundreds!! It’s such a captivating story that has inspired many authors and artists!

12. CommentsCarol   |  Friday, 29 November 2013 at 8:19 pm

Last guess – Zadkiel helps you hold mercy and compassion towards yourself and others, and let go of judgements and unforgivingness.To forgive yourself or someone else; invocation, transformation. Angel of freedom, benevolence, mercy, and of all who forgive. I may have you
    re-read to guess better.

13. CommentsCarol   |  Friday, 29 November 2013 at 8:21 pm

If Gabriel was not correct, but close, my next choice is Raphael

14. CommentsCarol   |  Friday, 29 November 2013 at 8:55 pm

Could be Michael, too.

15. CommentsCarol   |  Sunday, 08 December 2013 at 10:11 am

Getting frustrating! So many indicate they have finished reading the series, yet no thoughts about Erik’s Christian name. May be they don’t care because the Phantom will always be Erik, but curiosity killed the cat! My curiosity is getting the best of me!

16. CommentsPaisley Swan Stewart   |  Monday, 09 December 2013 at 3:31 pm

Sorry,Carol. I have been sick and have not keeping up with Chanson related stuff. It’s all I can do to take care of the house and hubby. The name issue will be resolved eventually, and if no one else is curious, I will reveal it to you and a few others privately. I need to get well first. Take care.

17. CommentsJuan   |  Friday, 13 December 2013 at 2:32 pm

I’m really curious about the Phantom’s Christian name! I’m about to finish the third book but I’m not sure if I have picked up (unconsciously) the clues along the way, but I been thinking and I’m between 2 names: Israfil, the Angel of Judment Day (which is also considered also an Angel of Music) or Nathaniel, the Angel of Fire (name which means “gift of God”). I have a strong feeling about the second one but that’s just me.

18. CommentsCarol   |  Saturday, 14 December 2013 at 8:14 am

I can wait. You get yourself well. Take care of hubby first. House can wait!

19. CommentsIsabel Pardo   |  Monday, 16 December 2013 at 8:41 pm

My best guess is Michael (Michel in French), he’s the chief of the Archangels. But the waiting is killing me!!! Can you tell us privately if you’re not going to disclose it here. Best wishes for your hubby!!!

20. Commentscharlotte   |  Thursday, 02 January 2014 at 11:45 am

Gabriel Michael Fiacre?

21. CommentsPaisley Swan Stewart   |  Thursday, 02 January 2014 at 2:06 pm

You are oh so close! I will reveal my Erik’s real name and the story behind it sometime soon in a new post! Stay tuned, and thank you for your comment! Have you finished the series, Charlotte?

22. CommentsChris   |  Saturday, 04 January 2014 at 3:27 pm

Nathaniel Christopher Fiacre?

23. CommentsPaisley Swan Stewart   |  Saturday, 04 January 2014 at 5:04 pm

Hi Chris! No, that’s not it, but that would have been a lovely name! Thank you for you comment! I’ll be revealing his name in a blog here on my site soon!

24. CommentsCarol   |  Sunday, 05 January 2014 at 9:54 am

Michael Gabriel

25. CommentsChris   |  Sunday, 05 January 2014 at 5:57 pm

Christopher Michael

26. CommentsChris   |  Sunday, 05 January 2014 at 5:58 pm

I guess that one is a bit overused nowadays

27. CommentsT'Mara   |  Monday, 27 January 2014 at 1:39 pm

Hmmm… I don’t know if this could be considered a Christian name, but the fallen Angel comes to mind, namely Lucifer.

28. CommentsShelly   |  Friday, 19 September 2014 at 7:43 am

I’m just starting the trilogy – but I am definitely interested in your Phantom’s real name and the story behind it!

29. CommentsPaisley Swan Stewart   |  Saturday, 20 September 2014 at 12:39 pm

Hi Shelly! I really hope you enjoy Chanson. It has been my intention to continue blogging and to answer that burning question for my readers, but my real life has become very complicated of late and it is difficult to commit time and energy to this page as I once did. Thank you for writing! Paisley.